PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 22:18
Clarified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulbs..

I would suggest that the reason for this is the last 13 years we have had a labour Government that has passed employment law acts that, although not completely in favour of the employee, at least consider a balanced position.
Could it depend on what political leaning you have when deciding how you respond to problems facing a business? Could this also be a generational thing eg. if you come from an area that has seen particular hardship or your parents have held strong political views you will respond in the same way when faced with similar issues?
This may sound simplistic but it is very important in how people respond/handle change.

The world is a capitilist, global business place. In the 13 years you refer to everything has become weaved into this system.
Whether we agree or not that is how things work, so we have to change and embrace it.
Look at the countless businesses that have gone under because they didn't adapt, unions are in danger of, or have done exactly the same.
Thankfully there are many examples of business that did embrace change, they and their employees are thriving, although the last few years have been tough.

As I said before, unions that represent workers have to adapt and change with the world. In my view, a proactive approach eg. holding hands and trusting eachother is the way forward. That means engaging eachother and realising that a union only functions if the company does. You can't have the former if the latter doesn't exist.

The year 2010, demands a 2010 approach.

Last edited by Clarified; 3rd Apr 2010 at 22:59.