PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East African Airways VC 10 accident 1972 Addis Ababa
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 14:38
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'Morning Colin,

I was a co-pilot on VC10s with BCAL from 1971 - 1974. Used to spend quite a lot of time at Nairobi and Entebbe. Forgive me for stating what may seem the usual platitudes, but we were shocked, saddened, and perhaps a bit dismayed by your father's accident.

Round about that time, we started practising double-engine failures on take-off on our sim checks, having recognised the possibility of a shattered nose-gear tyre being ingested by more than one engine; probably on the same side. Whether the sudden emphasis was a spin-off from the Addis inquiry, I cannot remember.

A year or two ago I saw a super photo of an EAA Super VC10 on take-off from Brooklands. May've been on PPRuNe, but am unable to find it today.
(Can anyone help?)

As you may have seen, there are many other VC10 pics here though. (Have found that if you use the PPRuNe search to find VC10 stuff, you need to do separate searches for "VC10" and "VC 10" [i.e., with the space inserted after "VC"].)

Regards, Chris

Earlier on this thread, there was a discussion on how fast the VC10 was (believe she's now more restricted than in those days). Max IAS was, in fact, modest: significantly lower than the B707-320.

As Stanley Eevil said here,
V
MO was 337 at sea-level, reducing linearly to 317 at FL200;
then increasing linearly to 329 [sic] at FL310.

M
MO was 0.86 (true) (0.886 indicated) (no air-data computer to make the correction).

In early days, they probably cruised flat-out (range permitting) "on the bell".
By 1971, we normally cruised at M0.835 (M0.86 indicated); after 1973 (fuel crisis) M0.82 (M0.845 indicated).