PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Accident Analysis 1979-1994
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2002, 13:03
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@What-ho Squiffy!

I wouldn't say R-helos are unsafe. Like any other a/c they have their limits und known or unknown bugs. By the time lot's of it are built, much flight time is logged. Therefore the problems are easy to see. Technical failure isn't a main problem. The main problem and you can count nearly all pilots errors in this category are flights, flightconditions or pilot inputs outside the limitations of the flight manual. That's the limited small "green" range. Within the "green" i'm shure it's a safe helicopter. But we have to think about: it's really alltimes possible to stay in green? Especially on commercial operations or unexperienced pilots? How easy is it to overload the a/c? Our R-22 were overweighted with simply 2 adults and the aux fuel tank filled. All you R pilots, you are the whole flight time so concentrated on the a/c as necessary? On our ship we missed the governor. Is gusting wind in the mountains so unusual? Up to 1995 we hadn't speed restrictions. Outside the straight and level flights the R needs an special eye on the RPM and the pilot inputs. The small "green" isn't only Mr. Robinsons problem. It's a question to operators, owners and pilots. The question is: is the Robinson really the ship you need for the mission and conditions? Or is it only the cheapest? My friends died on the starting phase of R-44 operations. They operated the a/c outside the limitations, after the first awareness courses. But to this time Mr. Robinson tells everyone R-44 is to compare with the light turbines. Fly and pay piston and feel like turbine. Mistake or PR? Low G, strength, performance and handling on Robinson isn't to compare with low G or the others on turbines... (of course the principles of low g are the same) In my opinion should Mr. Robinson first line think about his promotion campaigns. Business is ok but... It seems to me that a dangerous flight condition is faster to reach on Mr. Robinsons ships. Today any comparison between BH 206 or MD 500 and R-44 is a joke. But that view was deadly to get...

Last edited by tecpilot; 15th Jul 2002 at 15:30.