PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL/CPL Training: Ground School topics
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2002, 12:58
ClearBlueWater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fionnan, I wouldn't disagree with any of the points made above but flying a turbine will add a new dimension to your experience and help you maintain enthusiasm during the dark days of CPL theory study! The down side of course is the enormous cost of turbine flying. That said there is a way of bringing it in line with R22 hire costs...

Chuck Street flies a B206 for the KIISFM traffic watch in LA. He'll sell the left seat to you for USD 135 per hour which is about half the price of all in R22 hire in the UK. You'll need to do a B206 rating before you go in order for the hours to count towards your CPL but my personal experience was that about 70 hours of flying the traffic watch saved the cost of the type rating, flight to LA and accomodation costs for three weeks, bringing the total cost into line with that self fly hire of an R22 for the same number of hours in the UK.

One other piece of advice, given the fact you are unlikely to be well paid when you do get a flying job I don't think it is advisable to borrow money to buy hours. I'm amazed at how many people do this. If you don't owe anyone anything you'll be that much freer to find that low paid dream job being shot at in Sudan.