PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA allows pilots to take antidepressants
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 09:02
mustafagander

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
If I read the first post correctly, the FAA requires a year before reinstating a pilot's medical status. A #@^&* year???

Oz CASA for all their faults are at the leading edge here and only require that a pilot be stable on his/her medication for 28 days and then medical status is restored.

I have been there, done that and found that my medication, Zoloft, caused me no adverse side effects. The common side effects, from which I suffered, were reduced appetite and lowered libido. Given that I was recovering from a traumatic divorce and was overweight anyway I found them ideal.

A major international operator in Oz had about 20% of its pilots on SSRI medication a few years back and I doubt that the ratio has changed.

After about 18 months I gave the SSRI up under the guidance of my GP, naturally. It needs to be looked at like a broken arm - it needs a "splint" for a while while it heals naturally, then back to normal. Just like me - for those who know me, no smart cracks, OK??

Bottom line - if you think you have a problem with depression, seek help. It really does work.