PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 08:40
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarified

Across the UK we are seeing a decline in union membership, in the private sector it is only one in seven now.
Why are unions becoming less and less attractive?
I would suggest that the reason for this is the last 13 years we have had a labour Government that has passed employment law acts that, although not completely in favour of the employee, at least consider a balanced position.

I keep saying that you have to experience the difference between negotiation and consultation, to see what happens. What you are left with then is the power of your contract and a legal challenge in the courts and a self funded one at that.

When Henky speaks of bringing costs in line with competition, then allow real competition. If BA want to pay what other companies pay at other airports, then allow real competition at LHR. Allow Easy and Ryan in. Allow parity with all LH carriers in how much presence is allowed. Then the staff will have ease of movement between employers and BA will just be another carrier, as it is at say at LGW.

I don't think BA will want that though. They want both sides, low labour costs and fortress LHR, the Golden Runways!