PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 07:21
Clarified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utopia.

Welcome back Henkbaby!!

There is no simple resolution for these conflicts. Eventually BA will have to shift to a business model that is comparable to the new entries to the market like Virgin or the ME carriers. Maybe even like Easyjet and Ryanair for their short haul market. This will - like with all these companies - lead to vigorous labor conflict. Not surprisingly, since the workers are fighting for the preservation of what they had deemed irrevocable.
Your post was very enlightening.
Across the UK we are seeing a decline in union membership, in the private sector it is only one in seven now.
Why are unions becoming less and less attractive?

As you rightly say, it's a tough world in which companies have to change and fight for survival.
In my view, unions should be adapting at just as quicker pace, if not actually being ahead of the game.
Putting members interests first today means, asking an employer, what can I do for you?
Very different from the 1970's!
In the USA some unions have adopted this model, the companies have been more successful as a result with happy employees and no strife.

Unions and their members could really benefit from such an approach over here. Sure some would really not be like such a radical approach however the prize for the unions is attracting new membership from a more conservative/liberal demography.

I firmly believe that companies would welcome representatives that worked along side their managers and planned the future together.
As you indicate companies have a responsibility to adapt and change in a ruthless world, unions can still be a part of that world, working harmoniously for the greater good.

That's something we would all like to see.
How would it be achieved? CHANGE.

Maybe a radical approach like I am suggesting may get me back to joining a union?

Last edited by Clarified; 3rd Apr 2010 at 07:44.