PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 things that annoy you in aviation.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 00:21
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotDAR
If nay sayers would take the time to really understand the underlying reason for many of the regualtions and standards for aviation, there would be a lot less complaining about the "government", and a lot more introspection!
Completely understand where you're coming from, however I find there's a distinct tendency to legislate everyone to the lowest common denominator; rather than establishing standards that are a minimum and expecting people to be responsible within that, it is assumed everyone is an irresponsible idiot, and regulated as such. I suspect we bring it on our own heads with the litigous society we have created where sh1t cannot just happen, someone has to be to blame, and it's never us.

It may also be a slightly UK thing..

I trained and did most of my flying in Aus - The flying club made no provisions beyond the law as to what my currency should be, or what weather I should or should not fly in. I learned to take a view on conditions, and how comfortable I felt - at first cautious, then with experience took on more.

Returning to the UK I am introduced to currency rules (about which I've already moaned; just to be clear, *appropriate* currency is I believe important), and schemes where the weather gets a colour code and you are told whether you're allowed off the ground / out of the circuit / cross country etc, depending on the flavour of license and ratings you hold, and rules that specify you must not lean under 5000ft

I'm no sky god - I've racked up a couple of hundred hours over 3 and a bit years - mostly aerobatic and some longish touring trips into country aus. I don't know it all, but I *do* know when to seek advice, or fly with someone if I'm in any doubt. But then I'm pretty sure I knew that as a wet behind the ears PPL - I just needed to do it more often.