PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 Medical - Lung Function Test
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 23:31
kirkwoodill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 Medical - Lung Function Test

Hello,

I just went for my first Class 1 examination (also my first aviation examination), and the AME referred me to a medical centre to do my hearing and lung function test (he told me all first time applicants had to do this).

At the medical centre my hearing was fine, dropped off a bit @8000Hz but was otherwise normal. I then had my lung capacity test, and this was my first time using a peak flow meter. I'm 20 and have never smoked, never had any chest infections or asthma and only blew 57% of the predicted reading for FEV1. The reading said my lung age was 24.

However, I'm certain my lung capacity is higher than this, probably not 100% predicted, but definitely higher than 57%. I struggled to get the technique right, and so I went out and bought a basic peak flow meter to practice the technique. My problem at the testing was that I struggled to get a nice firm seal on the mouth piece before blowing in.

I have arranged to meet my AME, is it likely that I will be able to get another go at the lung function test now that I believe I have a better technique, or is the AME more likely to ask me to do something else, or am I likely to fail the Class 1 medical?

Cheers