PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 things that annoy you in aviation.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 18:04
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Jock

I have to agree with this:-

Its not really, its just something that the south coast Clubs seem to make a big deal out of. There is an almost religious sect down there about it. They have Channel crossing checkouts, channel currency etc etc A right money and hours spinner for clubs.

However you are still missing the point, it is not about just "channel crossing" it is about finding that the guy you are checking out on a new type can't lean the mixture, set a % power for altitude, has no idea what the fuel flow is for the power setting he is using, has no idea what the TAS is for his selected power setting and has no idea what his endurance could be.

The trouble is that these things seem to get "left out" of the PPL course, not by the older career instructors but by the guys who are counting each hour (and penny) towards the jet job they are dreaming of.

Most of these aspiring jet jockeys teach the basics well but fail to get to grips with the performance part of the flight manual and so don't teach the student how to "travel" in an aircraft .............. and if the student is female................. just don't get me started on that subject!

All a bit off topic for this thread but I had to reply.