PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 14 years old, dream career is an Airline Pilot.
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 13:39
Omlaaay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 'Lifeplan' to becoming an Airline Pilot (Hypothetically speaking)

Okay, so I'm 14 years old and my absolute dream career is being an Airline Pilot. I am absolutely determined as hell, and I would say I am pretty 'intelligent' as I am taking my GCSE's a year early and already have a couple of full GCSE's under my belt.
I know that training to become an Airline Pilot is sooooo expensive and that there isn't always a job waiting at the other end, from all the advice I have received so far, I realised how important it is to have a 'Plan B'.
Because of this, I decided to think of ways to take my life in order to peruse my career, but I tried to think of it as realistically as possible, therefore not joining a flight school at 18 and leaving with a £80,000 debt - that is totally stupid and would never work.

This is what I came up with:
- Join Air Cadets
- Go on a Trial Flight
- Finish GCSE’s
- Get a Weekend Job
- Do A-Levels
- Get a Part-Time Job
- Get a PPL
- Go to University and get a Degree in something ICT related (My ‘Plan B’)
- Get a Job that takes advantage of my recent degree.
- Pass ATPL
- Get CPL License
- Look for a job as a Airline Pilot
- If there isn’t any, continue with my current profession and keep looking.
- If there is, quit current job and begin the start of my career is an Airline Pilot.

You may think this is totally naive of me, but I know it is not possible to make life decisions as big as this at such a young age and stick with it. I know circumstances will most likely change and I will have to alter my plans accordingly. I just wondered what people's opinions were on taking this route?
And if anyone has any other advice that would be greatly accepted.

Thank you sooooo much in advance, you've helped me loads.

Emily.