PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 14 years old, dream career is an Airline Pilot.
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 11:21
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omlaaay, I wish I’d been as passionate about flying when I was 14!

The above advice is all good. Some more thoughts for you:

Any flying training is expensive, while commercial training is astronomically so. There are plenty of schools out there who would love to get their hands on £60k+ of your cash, and they will waste no time in selling you a dream. Always be sceptical, and always remember that any careers ‘advice’ you receive from a flying school should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Their primary aim is to make money by getting you to part with yours (or your parents’). I have met far too many teenagers who have been taken in completely by the schools’ marketing hype, and are setting themselves (or their parents) up for £60-£100k of debt without any certainty of a job at the end of it. Not a great start to your adult life.

At 14 you have all the time in the world to qualify, and more importantly, to earn the money with which to train. (I got my first airline job aged 36, with minimal debt, and I still have a 25 year career in front of me). I would echo the advice to get the best grades you can at school, join the air cadets, and if you are academically minded, consider going to university. A degree will not improve your chances of being a pilot, and will cost money and time which could be spent on flying training. But – and it’s a big but – a degree in a marketable subject (such as engineering, business studies, etc ) will give you a very useful plan ‘B’ should anything scupper your flying ambitions.

Many people who start flying training will never make it as a commercial pilot, for all sorts of reasons. Even if you’re the best pilot in the world and walk straight onto an Airbus with 200hrs, your future still depends on your airline not going bust, not to mention the medicals that you must pass every year (and eventually every 6 months) for your entire career. This is can be a very precarious career – as witnessed by the number of experienced jet pilots who have lost jobs recently with XL, Zoom, Flightline, Thomson, to name but a few – and if for that reason alone, it would be very wise to have qualifications or a trade to fall back on if it all goes wrong.