PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 07:27
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bobmiij - yes we have all been trying to "pull in the same direction". But now, in this period of "lull", we are extremely unsure as to what is happening. 617 described very well how it feels to be "us" right now! We are trying, as always, to see the positives, but I personally am struggling to see the rationale in this latest offer being put back on the table, for the following reasons:

1. To coin a much-loved pprune phrase: Has WW "blinked"?
He withdrew this offer the day strike action was announced and prevented Unite allowing the members to ballot on it. Why has he now changed his mind? If members are now to ballot on it, what purpose has delaying that ballot for 2 weeks served? Could he have called off the strikes, perhaps through a court injunction, while the ballot was conducted?

2. He sat on the BBC Breakfast sofa and categorically stated that this offer was "gone". It is now back, with no real explanation - why?

3. If the offer is balloted, and general feeling amongst crew is that it would be accepted, it may have far-reaching consequences:
a. 73% of (loyal, dedicated, hardworking) crew that crossed picket lines MAY feel somewhat hard done by. It has the potential to alienate his most loyal crew members.
b. BASSA come back in and pick up where they left off - how can that be beneficial to the business?

4. If he has re-tabled this offer, why not the previous one with the bonus in it? As FlexSRS pointed out earlier, we will only achieve that bonus if targets are achieved, so where's the hardship? The previous offer has the possibility of remotivating the workforce; this one does not.

If anyone can explain the positives in this offer being re-tabled, I'd really love to hear it. I remain ever the optimist, but this feels very much like an anti-climax, after all the hype and hopes that have occurred. What am I missing?

I am BA cabin crew and this is my own viewpoint and not that of BA.

Last edited by HiFlyer14; 2nd Apr 2010 at 07:55.