PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody want to buy some Trevor Thom Books?
Old 15th Jul 2002, 09:36
sennadog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gliding....

Evo7. I tried the gliding idea out yesterday down at Storrington - it rocks!

You have to use the rudder and aileron at the same time otherwise you end up with heaps of yaw and it's the weirdest experience gliding along without the sound of an engine!

I was only up for about half an hour as the thermals weren't playing but it was heaps of fun.

The lessons I learnt:

1) If you are flying a powered aircraft look out for flat bottomed Cu as this is where the gliders hang out - just a point that will help my situational awareness in future.

2) The glide ratio on these things is amazing but already I feel a lot more confident about PFLs. You have more time than you think to get things set up for the PFL instead of the flapping that I usually get into!

3) It's no big deal landing in a field!

4) Gliders tend to fly with a lot less separation than powered flight which again will help with situational awareness.

I've yet to see if there are any benefits to my flying but it will be interesting to see if there is.

Quick question to the more knowledgeable......

How many hours or what type of flying experience should I have before I consider doing the Tug flying course (sorry, I don't know what the correct term is) for towing Gliders?

Anyway, it's mucho fun and I recommend it to anyone and at £60 for a trial lesson and around £20 per hour it's some cheap supplementary flying.

Fly Stimulator. What's the best method for getting a good seal with the Headset? Ear flaps up or down? Also, does he have any problems with the PTT - I would think that claws aren't too easy with this operation?

Last edited by sennadog; 15th Jul 2002 at 09:40.