PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1 in 50 cabin crew ratio. Acceptable safety?
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 02:23
Led Zep

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the ratio of 1:36 is backwards, but 1:50 is. You don't have one teacher per 50 kids, and let’s face it, when SLF get anywhere near an airport their IQ drops below room temperature. Not comparing apples with apples, you say? I couldn't imagine one person trying to direct 50 dithering passengers in an emergency evacuation would be very successful. We all know they never read the Safety on Board cards, let alone pay any attention to the brief, because it “won’t happen to them.”

Same ration used in the evac demo of virtually all aircraft for the issue of the Type Data Certificate - therefore proven to work, ergo safe.
I disagree, a mock evacuation in a static airframe under controlled condition proves nothing and not comparable to the real thing.

I always thought that CASA's one saving grace was the 1:36 rule, but it seems shortly they will prove themselves to be completely aloof from the "Safety" part in their name. Why must this industry continue to subsidise ticket prices for the public by cutting back the pay and number of positions for staff? How about charging what it actually costs?!