PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near midair over SFO
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2010, 22:45
p51guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obiously the Cessna was at the base of the TCA altitude to be in the corridor. Turbojet aircraft are required to stay in the TCA and not fly below the lateral limits. I can see an RA TCAS alert conflicting with TCA altitude requirements but it is required to follow the RA alert. The SFO
8 departure requires a minimum of 300 ft per NM rate of climb. I am familiar with the LAX corridor but not SFO but you have some very good local talent on this thread. Sounds like the GA guy did everything right and had the situation under control. United had an RA or TA that took them by surprise. I'm sorry if they ended up exceeding flap speed dealing with it if that is what their beef is.

Had a similar experience getting my 767 FO check out in the late 80's with a check airman in LAX when he wanted the 30 minute leg to SAN. It was late and he missed his 2,000 level off to the shoreline for the VFR corridor. He tried to fix it with automation and busted by 300 ft and airspeed going way above max flap speed. I made the call outs but if a pilot insists on using automation you are along for the ride.