PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 1st Apr 2010, 20:20
tucumseh

Received 177 Likes on 67 Posts
While I agree with the recent posts, it should be remembered that most of the damage was done when "QinetiQ" were part of MoD and subject to the rulings of MoD(PE); in particular those senior staffs in PE who sat above the boss of, for example, Boscombe Down.

I have questioned before why Mr Haddon-Cave baselined his report at 1999 when all the evidence submitted to him clearly showed the systemic failings went back many years before this.

For example, what rulings were made by CDP (4 Star) the previous year (1998)? Here's one - a project or programme manager in PE can declare his project complete and make full an final payment despite Boscombe advising him that the aircraft is not functionally safe. And that the same company can be contracted and paid again to "finish" the job, and receive full payment despite failing to do so. And a 3rd and 4th contract.........

Then go back to September 1993 when Boscombe advised PE (same 2 Star as Nimrod) that the Chinook HC Mk2 was "positively dangerous" and recommended that it NOT be released to service. What happened? Boscombe were completely ignored and senior staffs in PE falsely misrepresented this recommendation by issuing a CA Release purporting to be a statement by Boscombe that she WAS fit for release.

Against that background, is it any wonder those in DERA/DRA/QinetiQ simply didn't know where they stood with their "customer"? The two men directly responsible for oversight of aircraft safety management in PE routinely ruled safety could be ignored.

None of this emerged in the report due to the simple deceit of implying the problem only started in 1999. I do hope these verifiable facts are aired during the ongoing investigation into the 2 RAF officers from the Nimrod IPT.