PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2010, 19:15
AsL402

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airplaneridesrfun

airplaneridesrfun,

I see where you are coming from. I guess I didn't see the housing compensation as a problem for me since I would probably be considered as a Local due to that I have a HKID.

Being a program originally designed for Locals, the starting salary of $35k/month as a SO is actually pretty good pay comparing to other jobs out there in HK. So I don't think Cathay really mistreat their employees.

However, I totally agree with you that this pay is not sufficient for Expats. Housing is way too expensive, and you probably have to settle somewhere much smaller than what you are used to. You probably can't afford a nice car as well since the tax, registration and parking is just as expensive (a parking spot can cost more than your car). Along with all that, you have to get used to a new environment away from your home/friends/family with a limited disposable income.

So I'm guessing you really have to considered if you can take some hardships for the first few years. If your passion for flying is more than anything else, then this program is certainly a go for you.