PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shetland / Western Isles trip
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2010, 19:00
Hyperborean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UKpaxman. You are forgetting the equally tragic Chinook crash. Also in my time there I recall several fairly substantial mishaps. Another 748, a Cessna (303 IIRC) and a Heron all of which wiped off various bits of u/c at Sumburgh but were repaired and flown out; a Twin Com at Scatsta prior to it reopening which had to be road transported out, plus a couple more a a less spectacular nature. I can also recall a couple of helo blade strike incidents, rather scary. Nevertheless your basic point is well made the only wreck adjacent to an Island strip in my time was the 111 (Heinkel variety ) which lay on Fair Isle until the strip was realigned in the early 70s. There were also a couple of high ground wrecks; a Catalina on Yell, a Mossie above the Clift Sound and a few barely recognisable bits of what I believe was a Hudson on Mossy Hill. The only wreck near a runway which I can think of latterly was the Potez which came to grief at Sumburgh and which the fire service used for training, this was taken away by an enthusiast a few years ago.
All of which should not deter a visit by a well prepared PPL in a light aircraft. At the end of the day, the axiom that "All aeroplanes bite fools," can be applied to flying in any part of the Highlands and Islands. Treat the trip with respect, be prepared to wait out bad weather and enjoy the experience,