PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 1st Apr 2010, 11:37
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - Apologies I don't seem to be putting my point across very well, so let me try one last time.

BA wanted to make savings and needed to change the crew complements - 1 crew member off a plane.
BASSA didn't want it. They refused. BA made several, acceptable offers to appease BASSA but they still refused. BA imposed 1 crew member off a plane. More decent offers. Strike action.

Many cabin crew, myself included, thought that BA were being reasonable. One crew member off a plane is no real hardship and therefore we crossed the picket line and went to work. Others didn't and went on strike.

Now, we are working to the new crew levels and have been since November so BA have achieved their savings. Granted they still want to bring in New Fleet - but that is something for the future and not what this strike is about (allegedly).

So, this latest "offer" is simply to appease BASSA. It offers 184 crew back on aeroplanes - which is what BASSA want, NOT what the cabin crew want. It is certainly not what the majority who have worked over the past 2 weekends want. In exchange for appeasing BASSA and getting 184 crew members back, we have to have:
a. Incidentals removed (lang and tel allowances etc)
b. 4 yr pay deal at RPI
c. The virtual immediate implementation of New Fleet to permit the 184 back on.
d. The loss of the bonus from the previous offer.

Those of us that are working, and we are the majority now, don't want 184 crew back on. We can work quite happily as we are. So why do we need this offer? Let's just carry on working (very well as it happens) to the 1 crew member off levels.

If this offer goes through, BASSA will claim they have won - after all, they got 184 crew back on planes.
And we the cabin crew will have lost. Because to get that 184 crew back on planes, that we don't want or need anyway, we will have given up EVEN MORE than we needed to!

Does that make sense now?? Sorry, if I'm speaking gibberish - it's been a roller coaster ride this past couple of weeks and stress levels have been quite high.

I am still BA cabin crew and this is still my own viewpoint (if a little onesided) and it is still not the viewpoint of BA.

Last edited by HiFlyer14; 1st Apr 2010 at 11:51.