PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 1st Apr 2010, 11:24
olster

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
If I may add my 2 pence worth.I was a base trainer -737 variety with the orange airline represented so eloquently on these pages by NSF.I moved on to an airline painted blue and was employed in the above capacity.We recruited some pilots who had bought type ratings through a well known agency.They had completed their base training in the minimum 6 landings and were holding 737 type ratings.I can vouch for the fact that they could not fly an accurate approach path nor land the aircraft correctly and proficiently as per the Boeing FCTM.In my experience the average cadet pilot with approx 200 hours takes a minimum of 10-14 landings to attain proficiency and safety prior to release for line training.

My point being? The training agencies are selling ratings/packages with a startling lack of scruples or morals.The individuals who bought these ratings appeared unaware of their deficiency yet had been led to believe that they were proficient but manifestly were not.A training captain had signed official paperwork confirming proficiency.The sooner the airline industry wakes up and realises that they have a responsibility to sponsor and develop pilots the better -this will have a financial impact.Also(sorry NSF -I agree with a lot that you sat generally) training pilots should reflect on their responsibilities and refuse to train or participate in pay to fly schemes where cash equates to selection.Personally,if still in the orange world it would have meant adios to training.

atb