PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre-owned Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2002, 06:55
dirkdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jefferson,

I own an A36 since 29 years and 4300 hours and can highly recommend the type. It needs to be maintained by a qualified (on Beech) mechanic.

My friend bought one last year (1978 model) and we looked at about 20 airplanes before buying one in Germany. I had impressive paperwork, as would be expected in Germany, but even then, several AD's were not done, and there was a (repairable) crack in the vertical fin that was hidden by a decal.

Do not overlook the older models (pre 1974) since they are equally well built, but lighter: mine is 100lbs lighter than his. I can carry 5 170lbs persons plus full fuel, and it has everything I need: GNS430, JPI, FD/AP, RMI...

Two ways to go: either find an airplane that comes equipped with everything you want and expect to pay more, or look for an airplane with runout engine, old radios etc, that you can bring up to your own standard. Always start with good clean airframe.

Avoid post 1991 FREM engines, better to have Millenium cylinders fitted. Where are you located?

Highly recommend the ABS, get their CD-ROM with the back issues. Come to the convention in Wichita. Buy an airplane that has been to a Service Clinic, and attend BPPP yourself.