PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt.Lt Ron Carpenter RAF Bomber Command
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2010, 08:04
davidcarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flt.Lt Ron Carpenter RAF Bomber Command

This is a tribute to my Father who will be 90 years old in July. He was a bomb aimer on 10 Squadron Halifaxes stationed at RAF Melbourne near York from mid 1942 - to mid 1943. He completed 30 trips before becoming a bomb aiming instructor. Then transfered to 223 Sqn B24 Liberators (Radio Counter Measures ) at RAF Oulton in Norfolk. He completed 13 trips on 223 Sqn. Early 1944 he was posted to Indo-China on Dakotas but as a bomb aimer he took over as a navigator. He was very fortunate to survive all those missions without even a scratch! If anyone is interested I have some photos of one of the aircraft he regularly flew in. I'ts a Halifax B Mk 2 Series 1 (Special) ZA-X BB324. I have a photo taken on 21/22 June 1943 over Krefeld by this aircraft. My Father was the bomb aimer. When he pressed the weapon switch the aircraft's camera automatically operated. After returning to base, his crew had a few days leave. Unfortunately the replacement crew went to Mulheim on 22/23 June but failed to return. He had a few close shaves but made it OK.Tradgically most of his friends didn't! Of course if it wasnt for the dedicated work of the groundcrew as well the aircraft wouldnt have got off the ground. My Father said the aircrew had to rely on them. As an ex Jaguar Avionics Technician I know how important the groundcrew are! If anyone wants to contact me and especially ex Bomber Command aircrew or groundcrew they are more than welcome.
David Carpenter