PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva and China Airline
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2010, 07:11
wayyyoutthere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ryan.

Taiwan? Have you been there? We are not talking about KUL or SIN. This is Taiwan..... Its not GREAT to be there, but its just ok. I would say actually that it rather sucks here. I would waaay rather be anywhere in the Continental US or Canada or Europe than Taiwan anyday. If you want to come to asia, I suggest you try Air Asia, Vietnam Airlines, Tiger, Cathay, or KAL. Yes its tru CAL/EVA doesn't say "we won't upgrade you" but you might as well read it as that. I would say less than say... 2% of any foreigners that come here actually get it. You think your gonna be that 1 or 2 %??? Dream on! I know others that have worked here read this soo.... speak up if you agree with me! I saw no less than a few hundred foreigners come here and leave, not because they just found better jobs, but because CAL was a really bad place to work. Many even left and paid the bond to leave. And I will repeat, out of that 300 that were here, about a dozen are left! I suggest you read between the lines!

I don't really think that you realize what you are giving up or missing if you come here. If you come here, you will probably get stuck forever in the contract world, and most likely, miss that chance you may have for a legacy in the US or your home country just by not being present in the country. Also, you will be living like a travelling gypsy, unable to sustain any meaningful relationship. You will also be missing much of the years where its important to meet your life partner. One day you turn 40 and you realize why you are still single, have no kids and probably now never will. Its because you decided to go to that commuting contract job in another country during your best years. Many of you thinking about this may scoff at it as I did when others were warning me, but believe me, its important.

My best advice from experience, is stay in your home country and build your castle. Be with your friends, meet your partner, and live a good life. This commuting thing is neat for a short while, but after that it sucks. Pay your dues in the regionals, and give the majors there a shot. When you have done that, then try this.

Life is not perfect, and neither is aviation, but the grass is not greener on the other side.... EVER. Its the same, it just has different weeds growing!

Remember, you will pay 20% tax in Taiwan, then you will have to pay tax in the US. And that on about 5k/month minus whatever your bond is, and then you will be worked to the bone for 22 days a month.... yes...almost every day!!!! (ok...1day a week off then) Your 8 days off/month you will have to commute back and forth, and so effectively you will have 6 days in your home, where you will be jet lagged and sleeping during the day probably.... feeling like ****, and then back to work again for that after tax 4k/month. And you will be stuck with it for a few years unless you want to pay the bond. And when you go, you are entitled to nothing! Think im exageratting? Why would 99% of all the foreigners that have come here have left?

Trust me, go to Cathay or something. Don't come here. Unless they finally ante up and actually pay market++ to compensate for the shortcomings.

If you come for an interview, ask how come so many foreigners have left in the past. I would love to see what answer they come up with for that!

Good luck.

PM me anytime.