PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in the ME as a couple
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2010, 07:07
BOEINGA380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to share this one. Reading these newspapers in this part of the world is entertaining to me.

I know it's regarding "general workers " in UAE but what "right" do we really have?? WTF!

The right to be a worker

EMPLOYEES or workers in the UAE have the right not to divulge their identity to anyone unless they are made sure of his/her authority.

In clearing their documents, employees or workers in the UAE must only deal with official personnel.

These and more are in the "pamphlets" the Philippine Embassy received from the interior and labour ministries two weeks ago, copies of which shall be distributed to all Filipinos - conservative estimates according to Minister and Consul General Adelio Angelito Cruz is at 400,000 - across the country.

The pamphlets, a copy of which was forwarded to The Gulf Today on Sunday evening, list down eight "labour rights" as well as 13 "labour duties" of all expatriate workers in the UAE.

These rights and duties are embodied in "Article 40 of the Constitution," carrying the statement: "Foreigners in the UAE enjoy rights and freedom as prescribed by the applicable International Constitutions, Treaties or Conventions that the UAE is a party in and in return, they also have duties."

"We will be distributing copies so that all Filipinos will know of their rights and their duties towards their employers and to our host government," Cruz said, when interviewed over the telephone, on Monday.

"I am grateful that the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Labour (MoL) gave us copies of these pamphlets on the rights and obligations of all expatriate workers in the UAE," Cruz added, asking this reporter if what was given her was in Filipino, the national language of the Philippines.

"What they did is commendable," he said, also saying that aside from Filipino, what he knows is that the document released by the MoL, is in five other languages as well.

"It shows they are pro-active in ensuring the welfare of all expatriate workers," he also said, citing instances when Filipino workers seek assistance from the two Philippine diplomatic missions or from the two Philippine Overseas Labour Offices in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, regarding employers, subtracting from their salaries fees for their residence and employment visas, when these should be shouldered by the latter.

"I hope our compatriots carry with them their copies or know these rights and duties by heart so that they will not be misled," Cruz stated.

The senior official's statement was so, as this reporter brought up cases lodged at the Dubai Courts wherein Filipinas became victims of impersonation or those instances when men, impersonating people with authority, coerced the victims to produce their identification or ATM cards, which sometimes led to sexual harassment or rape.

Meanwhile, it is also expressed in the document that as expatriate workers are protected by the law, they should be first and foremost legal residents of the country: "As a start and before talking about any rights or duties prescribed by the UAE Constitution and Laws, the labourer should be legally staying in the country in accordance with the applicable laws."

"The violation of such laws makes the labourer not only subject to legal penalties but to be exploited by others as well due to his illegal stay resulting in his loss of rights granted by the country."

Apart from the right of expatriate workers having the right not to divulge their identity to anyone unless they are made sure of his authority, their seven other rights are:

* The right to be aware of all their rights set forth in the employment contract signed with the employer as the contract is binding to both parties. No excuse for anyone ignoring the contract terms and conditions once signed by them.
( only on paper! - it's a one way street here )
( Where is my Annual Leave- Annual Leave Ticket to my home town-my overtime pay-call out pay for offdays I worked? Pay DEWA bills is not part of my employment contract! )

* The right to practice religious rites and freedom of belief, and the right not to hurt dignity.
( may I practice judaism and be a free believer in .....? )

* The right not to be subjected to any form of humiliation or any act resulting in physical injury as the law grants them the right to complain and report (as the case may be) against any person committing such crimes.

* The right to speak in their native tongue, assisted by an interpreter, in cases of testimonies before competent authorities.

* The right not to sign on any of their declarations before competent security or judicial authorities, unless fully read or perused by them.

* The right to know the accusations against them, the right to keep silent and the right to defend themselves.

( What happened to the guys from the MEL and MAN case??? )

* The right to seek legal assistance pursuant to the estimation of the police and other investigating authorities.

Aside from the duty of expatriate workers in clearing their documents only with pertinent authorities, their 12 other duties are:

* The duty to respect UAE traditions, conventions and heritage.

* The duty to know that they are subject to all applicable rules and regulations or laws.

* The duty to respect the rights of others, that they must neither resort to humiliation nor offend religious beliefs. Offending Islam and other religions is a crime resulting in detention or the payment of fines.

( is it legal to offend my religion? Does respect not work in both directions?? )

* The duty to exhaust all legal means to resolve labour disputes since resorting to labour strikes or other similar forms of labour unrest is strictly prohibited.

(- Sorry to say it but it's like fighting a war without weapons....useless to have rights then WTF! )

* The duty not to cause any damage to their workplace either intentionally or by way of negligence.

* The duty not to violate UAE laws and in no circumstances abstain from accepting work in order to hide themselves from authorities which may lead to exploitation by others.

_____

What a joke?! but hey it made my day

SUMMARY:
RIGHT:
1)WORK TO MAKE RECORD PROFIT DISREGARDING ALL RULES AND LAWS
2) IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT LEAVE

DUTY:
1) BE HAPPY YOU HAVE A JOB
2) SHUT UP

Source: :: Daily News with The Gulf Today on GoDubai, Middle East, Dubai, UAE Online News::

Please do take EVERYTHING in consideration before you come to this part of the world do not give up all the normal things of life for a bigger piece of iron....not worth it. Be warned!