PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 31st Mar 2010, 20:35
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Meal Chucker
Unfortunately the mass meetings are really only attended by the most militant of crew.....
I think that used to be the case, but now they're attended by people who care about what's going on within the company.

It was always a bone of contention for me, as someone who attended almost every Bassa meeting since joining the company.

People would never come to the meetings until such time as there was a real threat to our terms and conditions when they'd suddenly all come out of the woodwork.

The union needed continual support from its members to send a continual show of strength to BA's management, but it never got it.

I left part way through the last meeting I attended in disgust.
I was close to doing the same at the last one I attended, but that's because I'm more moderate in my views than some of the more vocal members. I don't like confrontation or public displays of anger, and the meetings would regularly descend into both.

There was no way I was brave enough to put forward a view or even raise my hand against a motion that was different the rest of 'mob', I honestly believe I would have been lynched!
While I don't think you'd have been lynched, you'd certainly have had to prepare yourself for a torrent of abuse, I suspect. It's impossible at those meetings to say anything against the grain.

Same is the case on Crew Forum and Bassa Forum and that's why few people who are even remotely open to the prospect of the company not being out to totally f*ck us over participate on those sites.

I left Crew Forum two years (or a year, I forget) ago for that very reason.

People struggle to realise that someone can be a union supporter at the same time as seeing the company's point of view.

Last edited by Eddy; 31st Mar 2010 at 20:51.