PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 19:30
en2r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon the chances of Cork getting transatlantic services in the forseeable future are slim and to be honest - NONE! I'm sorry it just does not make economic sense. Firstly, you have Shannon in close proximity and now Dublin is'nt even that far away anymore with regular air and train services and a spanking new motorway. Secondly, Who will fly to an airport where weight restrictions will apply. Thirdly, Shannon and Dublin have the US Immigration and Customs Pre-Clearance which is a huge bonus for them. As for the chances that an airline will fly eg. Cork to JFK and stop off en route at Shannon so passengers can pre- clear immigration etc there is unreal.
Cork is a small local airport, it needs to concentrate on what it does best, Services to airports in the UK and continental Europe. We all know there are gaps which need to be filled eg. Frankfurt, Brussels, Madrid etc etc
I like Cork and visit regularly, love the new terminal. So I ain't a 'Cork Basher', just a realist.
With Shannon struggling to hold on to the few transatlantic routes they have left, I'd say the chances of Cork getting a transatlantic route would be between slim and none.