PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAFAT Future?
Thread: RAFAT Future?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 14:38
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The £6M per year is a bit off - this 2005 BBC article is a bit closer from my recollection...about £20M. IMHO a lot of wonga that should be spent elsewhere.

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Why everyone loves the Red Arrows

I do think that the time is rapidly coming for the RAFAT to be disbanded - surely a 4-ship of Typhoons from 29(F) Sqn worked up pre-season and then only visiting the main attractions (Farnborough, Fairford, Waddington, Leuchars, Paris, etc... up to 8 events) would be more cost effective? Just like the RAF did in the old days - 72 Sqn, 66 Sqn, 54 Sqn, 111 Sqn, 92 Sqn, 74 Sqn and 56 Sqn all provided formation aerobatic teams between 1947 and 1964.

Also, the 85-ish engineers dedicated to the Reds are a valuable commidity that we can ill afford with the TG1 shortages we have.

I would not want to see BBMF disbanded, although 5 Spitfires are a bit extravagant as well - How about the Lanc, Dak, 2 Spits, 2 Hurris and 2 Chippies as a savings measure. Only the OC is full-time aircrew and the rest volunteer their time - the 30 or so engineers could also be re-resourced for the reduced fleet size.

I am totally staggered that we are cutting front-line capability like FJ sqns and ISTAR assets and keeping these fully funded. Having read the pitiful amount of hours the pilot of the last F3 to spank had prior to his accident, it all strikes me as mis-management of priorities.

Hardly surprising that the Brown Jobs have such a derogatory view of the Light Blue is it?

The B Word