PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Countries Hiring Controllers
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 14:31
atcroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working in Canada

Clear2land78, you don't want to come up to Canada right now. Nav Canada has invested HEAVILY in simulator software which uses "voice activation". By that I mean it uses very little interaction with a real person.

They are in the process of "letting go" all the staff which run the simulators. But the main problem is that the software doesn't run.
They have had to shut down almost all of the courses. However, the current courses are continuing with people acting the parts of pilots, but once they are completed they will shut down training or almost until they figure out what they are going to do with the "new voice activated simulator" that doesn't work.

What nav canada doesn't get is there are still pilots flying aircraft and until the they get rid of pilots, having simulation software that does NOT represent the real world will actually extend the amount of time it takes someone to check out.

Please do not ask me where I work, as I could get fired for telling all. Another great reason to work for nav canada.