PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 31st Mar 2010, 13:39
Global Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However your posts show hints of naivety with regard to the airline industry
Im not so sure that it does. This thread is about how to get rid of P2F within the industry. My comment about ill go BA because they dont need safety pilots was meant to be in strict comparison to the airlines that are training P2F people constantly. I didnt literally mean BA Pilots are so good they dont need safety pilots!!!!! But the airlines operating these schemes will continue to do so unless they can be given a clear reason as to why they shouldn't.

Secondly, any training department, be they and airline or a TRTO can speak up about their concerns on safety, either to the company or directly to the CAA. If any P2F airline training department doesnt want to speak out (assuming they have reasons to of course)...... thats a choice, not one that i agree with, but its a choice. It does not make me naive at all. If a whole training department, one that commands respect, declares that the P2F practice compromises safety, either to the company or the CAA, they would be listened to.

i am certainly not advocating some kind of militant action at all. Far from it, but one other contributor has drafted a letter which is a start in the right direction but.......... i fear, after reading the first 2 lines......... some may perceive it as being £120,000 a year pilots whinging and as such, it will not get nearly the same impact as people who start pushing the safety angle, even if done anonymously and thats what i would really like to promote........ the erosion of safety.

One of the problems with the way this P2F business has been dealt with on this web site, is it comes across too much as, ......"the airline is using a cheaper pilot than me"........ ie market forces........ "and so im whinging and whining about it". It comes across like a CSD saying "sod off, im not pushing a trolley"...... prima donna ish.

I, however, believe that there is a very real safety impact associated with P2F. Naivety may actually end up being on behalf of the people that could have spoken out about this and didn't because they thought no one would listen.

By the sounds of it, none of the companies operating these schemes have ever been given a reason not to. The one department that could give clear reasons as to why this practice should be done away with is the training department. Safety culture is so important. Preventing its erosion even more so.

Of course, its also possible that i am a lone voice in the wilderness and every airline that promotes the P2F model believes that there is absolutely no compromise to safety what so ever.

I just dont believe it.

GW