PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 13:10
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re the economic cost between lighties and the 'heavier' metal. My sector time was increased by 150% over the 'no traffic situation'. For the purpose of the exercise if we assume that either jet had been 'held' for 2 minutes the sector time would have been increased by around 2% over a 'no traffic delay' situation. In this case the relative economic impact was over an order of magnitude higher to the 'lightie' than the 'heavier'.

As to estimates - some of the IFR drivers need a few lessons too. I've heard estimates given for the circuit when the tower was closed that turned out to be estimates to commence the approach. On the flight referred to in my earlier post I would have have been visible from the tower with binos before the first jet entered the zone.

If I was a different person I could always do the 'holding in a single engine aircraft over water' claim - but at the time I was in an amphib and if I'd realised how long the hold was going to be I would have requested a clearance to land on the water anyway.

PS I've also been offered number 1 on times that I wouldn't have expected it (and I haven't always accepted the offer).