PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How regular is the rumble?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 11:49
Scarbagjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How regular is the rumble?

Hi guys, I have just started flying fairly regularly again after 20 odd years. About 24 flights per year for the last couple of years mostly domestic to the Australian Capitols and from there regional. I have done a couple of long hauls recently as well, BNE-LAX, and have a couple of questions that I hope will not sound too dumb. Firstly, whilst flying on the BNE-LAX pacific skyway, after some amount of time I would notice the engines increasing in thrust for a while, I am assuming that as more fuel burns off the higher we want to get to get on board with the jet streams? Is this right?
Also on one flight as we began our decent into LA the spoilers were deployed which sent the 747-400 into a lovely state of rumbling vibration. Now I was fortunate enough to be invited onto the flight deck at the completion of that flight and asked the boss about this, he replied that coming into LAX requires a high and quick decent to comply with some US flight regulations, and sometimes they need the airbrakes to help with this. I dont doubt the validity of what he was telling me, but I have never been privy to this before or since that particular flight. The speed was showing 1009 kph on the seat back screen just before the decent. Is it possible for these babies to " get away on you " when riding in a well charged jet stream? How regular does this happen.
I am a big fan of the 747-400s, I reckon they are as sexy to look at as VE commodores and Haines Hunter boats ( just my personal opinion ), but after the rumble experience, I was still shaking long after the big bird had stopped
Enough for now, a bit long winded I know, but would appreciate any sharing of experience on these things.

Cheers