PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 10:59
Mariner9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unite protested when BA withdrew the offer once the strike dates were announced, and demanded that it was put back on the table.

Now it seems that WW is prepared to do just that. In my view this is a very clever move that puts Unite in a very difficult position, with only two options:

1. If they put the offer to the crew, they would almost certainly* vote in favour. The only thing CC will have "gained" from the strike therefore is the loss of some pay and staff travel. They will also have considerably damaged BA's present and future earnings, that at best, vastly reduces their employer's ability to maintain industry-leading T&C's. Thanks Unite.

2. If on the other hand the Union refuse to put the offer to their membership (or if the majority vote against it), Unite will have no option other than calling for further strikes. However, given the ever increasing number of staff working and the number of new CC's being trained, it won't be long before BA consider the striking staff to be surplus to requirements. Thanks Unite.

With regards to Staff Travel, I just can't see WW caving in over this. I would imagine that Unite's only feasible strategy would be to try and convince their membership that they should return to work while Unite endeavour to get the removal of ST declared illegal in the courts.

I await the parties next move with interest.

*On the basis that more than 50% of the CC did not take part in IA