PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar International Pax figures... WTF???
Old 31st Mar 2010, 09:47
Captain Sherm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of effort Captain Kremin, well done.

I am a bit frantic right now but will have a look at the numbers and your analysis and see if I can help find a way out of this seeming paradox.

Have to say up front though that I really doubt the answer is going to be in deliberate porkies being told by Qantas to the ASX. That way lies jail and I really don’t think anyone’s that company minded!.

As for the numbers. Til I get a chance to look closely I can’t comment.
But as for methodology…..a couple of points…..there are many caveats but these are a start.

First…..grown men have over the years lost their marbles over attempting to track what constitutes “ a passenger”. Is it:

• An occupied seat for a take off and landing on one sector?
• A person traveling from A to B through any number of intermediate stops, flight number changes and stopovers?
• Ditto….within the one 24 hour period?
• Seat occupied on the same flight number no matter how many stops?
• Etc etc

Second…..be very careful in using “Load Factor” for analysis. It is not simply the ratio of seats occupied to seats available (though for a given flight that is usually true). Load Factor is more usually defined as the ratio of Passenger Kilometres (either revenue or total) to Available Seat Kilometres. So an airline operating lots of short range flights that are largely full and a few long range flights that are only half full might sell way over 75% of all available seats but maybe only 60% of all available seat kilometers.

Anyway….I will look though the numbers and see what the aging Sherm brain can add to the discussion if anything.