PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2010, 16:36
CXmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Philli-T

I take your point that when you're looking ahead at the 'opportunities' in front of you, the CX one seems pretty appealing and compared to GA level jobs it does seem so. For a young single guy burning with enthusiasm, CX would still be a good choice IF - and I repeat - IF you are prepared to use CX in the same way they would be using you.

What I mean is to get ahead by taking their training, taking their long-haul glass cockpit experience, taking their mediocre salary, taking their widebody type ratings, have a good time shagging the Wan Chai bargirls, and then find a better job at another airline nearer to your home that is in the mood to headhunt your new skills and experience. I don't know what 'bond ' or 'return of service' is being touted by them but CX didn't care much about the one I had with my previous employer when they wanted me so why should you worry about their's?

This plan however does require a commitment of some many years in Hong Kong and it will be tempting to stay for the carrots that have been placed further down the career path (and the bargirls). The only way that the company will learn whether their package stacks up is if guys (or girls) like you vote with their feet after they have had to outlay for all your training.

Don't make the mistake however, of thinking that CX will be a good long-term, one airline for life 'career' choice. You will be best served by continuing to keep your eyes and ears open for other, better opportunities as you start down the CX road.

CXmonkey