PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored A320 Type Rating & Line Training - J Curd
Old 30th Mar 2010, 15:49
james1013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P2F is a never-ending debate on pprune, and I'd guess that the majority of pilots regardless of experience, status etc are against it. Even those that do it must surely prefer to keep £30K in the bank or are there more millionaires around than I think? If the P2Fs are not millionaires then the minute they agree to pay for a TR they should fail selection on the grounds of mental instability (a bit like the paradox in Catch 22 for trying to get home from the front line, if you've ever read it).

The Bad Karma bit - what's need is a signicant accident or series of accidents involving low hours P2F finding themselves in command in difficult circumstances and the AAIB report pointing to lack of FO experience being a major contributing factor. If this comes to pass then EU-OPS could possibly legislate against such folk occupying the RHS which would end this system. CTC, OAA etc would then find it hard work (impossible) selling the promise of 18 month course to jet job in a few easy stages (first stage being "can we have £65K please....").

"The economy stupid" (I'm not calling anyone stupid, it's a famous political quote) - If accidents don't do it then P2F will go away during the good times when/if the tables are turned and airlines are begging anyone with the basic qualifications to occupy the RHS.

Those 2 ideas might seem contradictory e.g. 'if EU-OPS set minimum hours then during the good times airlines will be short on pilots', I say bring it on, the airlines can't have it all their own way, during these good times they will be making money more easily so make them pay a premium for their crew, e.g. create a competative environment whereby pilots can dictate terms. This would also work during lean times as those worthy of a decent paid flying job would more than likely keep it (all be it reduced hours to spread the work about) but without the threat of P2F buying their job and making them redundant then the pilot world would be a happier place.

This would create more structure to career development as low hours fATPL could for example get a FI ticket to build hours/airmanship, FI jobs would be available for them as more experienced FIs would be sucked up into the FO jobs. Whereas now good FIs with hours are being leapfrogged by P2F and therefore there are fewer FI opportunities so less scope for the low hours fATPL and hence the temptation to P2F.....it's a self perpetuating mess.

Like I say it won't change while legislation allows it, the economy makes it a buyers markets for manpower and of course none it works without P2Fs who are prepared to fuel the fire.

What I'd like to know is if anyone on here thinks anything else could change it? e.g. people power, forming a group against it, lobbying someone (God knows who), ambushing young men as they walk into TRO with a big cheque....any suggestions? e.g. is there more positive action that could be taken as opposed to ranting on pprune?

(for context I'm a ex-integrated fATPL finished in aug 2008, now earn pennies as an FI teaching PPL on SEP, no money for P2F, lots of less capable friends now flying jets as they have more capable bank accounts than me ).