PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored A320 Type Rating & Line Training - J Curd
Old 30th Mar 2010, 12:22
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The very people howling at p2f are the very same who are talking of IPA or Unite at 5 bob a month to represent the interests of the pilot community. The only answer to this problem is universal union involvement with BALPA. That costs money (1% per month) and sadly many of you are not willing to pay that as you do not get your money's worth - allegedly. You cannot have it both ways. The excesses occurring at easyJet are directly attributable the unwillingness of a significant minority of pilots to back BALPA.

I have to also mention that right now the deals at easyJet are not quite as bad as was originally envisaged. Many of those pilots employed at £43/per block hour are flying 90+ hours a month and are doing not to badly out of it. Obviously some are still in the £1200/month initial period, but that is no worse than the old £1k/month for 6 months from CTC. It is important that people reading this debate have some grasp of the terms and conditions on offer - they are bad, but not as bad as some are advertising. I do not like it or agree with it in any way, but it is no different from what used to happen financially with young lads/lasses working to get a frozen ATPL, then working for £11/flying hour as a PPL instructor before working for £18k/year as a turboprop FO. Do not all start saying that I am agreeing with the situation because I am not. I am openly on record as saying that this was an issue to strike over, but that view was not held by sufficient of my colleagues to continue with. I stand by my view that the only people flying easyJet aircraft should be easyJet employees and not contractors. The continued behind-the-scenes manoeuvering of the company tyring to defeat our BALPA reps has not been well-received. Give us the support we need and we can win - sit on the sidlelines carping and 'waiting for BALPA to do something for a change' only invites further losses of terms and conditions.