PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander queries - not THOSE Islanders
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2010, 10:09
Fatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Islander queries.

Jackonicko

The AEW nose was made rounded to improve the handling. I hear that flapless approaches and icing conditions are best avoided.

The Broughton incident. My view is that the sim feather power setting used at the time started the snowball rolling. With power lever idle and condition (prop) lever at the "Low RPM" gate, just before fuel off feather...........

Had the instructor feathered the accidentally shutdown engine instead of attempting a restart, they might have been lucky and cleared the Broughton ridge.

The alternative method, prop at Max and 120 lbft of torque is much less likely to result in cock up.

I should know, whilst examining a test pilot for his LPC/IR I was persuaded (at the start of the trip) to use the first method. All went well until the final landing when I feathered the engine downwind instead of setting sim feather.

He was unruffled by my incompetance, landed on the one engine and even suggested restarting the engine on the landing roll so that no-one need know. He passed.

Had we been at 200 feet after takeoff with the Broughton ridge upwind...............

Is the Defender good? Debatable. However is is cheaper than the alternatives.

Fatty