PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all experienced pilots...we need help!!
Old 30th Mar 2010, 09:26
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's all about luck and timing and you've had neither so far. Your problem is not so much P2F, as it is the fact that you're in the UK which is probably the country on earth worst affected by this economic recession thing at the moment. You could send a million CVs and get the same result because there are simply no jobs going right now except for a few P2F shaftings - and those aren't even real jobs they're just tools that some lo-cos are using at the moment to try to get the rest of the workforce to accept lower T&Cs. They'll be the first ones to park airplanes when the economic recovery comes though

Good times will roll round again for aviation employment, but not for a looong time, most forward thinking employers are looking at the 3 to 4 year time frame before they need to hire again. Virgin Atlantic and Thomson when they had to make redundancies last year, have sent about 100 of their pilots on 3-year fixed term contracts to Qatar Airways rather than sack them outright - they still have retained their seniority with their UK employers. Netjets Europe did a similar thing, they put several hundred of their pilots on a 4-year part time contract working year on year off. Of course that means all these furloughed guys will be returning to the work force before you existing batch of wannabes get a look in.

And of course just looking at the chaos at BA this week I think that there will be no jobs there for a veeery long time

So yeah mate I hate to say it but you are basically screwed for the foreseeable, I don't know what happened for you in Maun but you might have to head back there next summer and the summer after that before anything positive happens at home.

All I can suggest is STAY CURRENT on something - anything - even if it's piston singles and a quick whirl in a king air sim every few months - and keep thinking outside the box, you're obviously prepared to travel the world and take anything you can get so I'm quite confident you'll suddenly get your lucky break.

And remember ... it's always darkest just before the dawn