PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2010, 08:46
Mr Hankey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add another voice to this. The comment by someone here that an apartment would cost $16000 p/m and a cost of living per month is $7000 is simply way off mark. $16000 per month gets what you would describe as slum like living conditions in Hong Kong. Look at the prices in Discovery Bay, the Mid Levels and the like. Trust me you will not want to live in places where you can pay $16000P/M.
As for $7000 living expenses. Try doubling it for subsistence living. If you want to move to one of the most expensive and crowded cities in the world and live a 3rd world lifestyle then go ahead.
It is not worth the money for the job. To answer someone before I think it would be far preferable to stay at home and fly a twin in charter and work towards a Low Cost Operator than to fly for CX for less than a subsistence wage and hope you will get an FO slot in 6 years and a command in 15-20 years. Really, there are better jobs.
I hate to be discouraging but you need to face the facts.
You are being considered because local people don't want the job, and you are cheap labor. You are also undermining the conditions of your fellow pilots, think about what that means.
Read the Fragrant Harbour Forum, to see, for example, how pissed the SO's are, after only a few years. And they actually GET a hosing allowance.