PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored A320 Type Rating & Line Training - J Curd
Old 30th Mar 2010, 07:21
fcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

I can understand why someone who has spent a fortune on a ATPL and who is struggling to find a job would pay for a type rating as I was in the same situation myself in the mid 90's. I was unemployed for nearly 5 years with many experienced and ex military pilot's chasing only a handfull of positions. Although it sounds immoral to be paying for your own training and giving the airlines a bargain basement of pilots's, at the end of the day you have to look after number one and make yourself attractive to prospective employer's.
It's easy for Pilot's who are employed or have previous experience to put down such schemes as they are also only looking after themselves worrying that this might drive down pay and conditions or even ruin their chances of a job. The people giving a negative response to this post have probably never paid for an hours flight training in their lives, who therefore think a job is their god given right and certainly don't want any, what they consider unfair competition from a self sponsored pilot already thousands of pounds in debt.
I was 32 when I finished my approved training course and embarked on a 320 rating only after exploring every avenue, and without it I probably would never have found a job due to my age and experience. I came up against the same negative hostile responses from fellow pilots who by the way were all employed by airlines but was given admiration from employers saying it showed determination and commitment which sometimes is in short supply from the whinging minority.