PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar International Pax figures... WTF???
Old 30th Mar 2010, 00:44
Pedota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great piece of sleuth work Kremin. . . and yes, I think that is the conclusion breakfastburrito.

I re-read the Qantas Group announcement looking for a 'sneaky' line which might account for the discrepancies . . . perhaps this is it? Despite the release portending to be about the Group defined as . . .

Group (comprising Qantas Domestic, QantasLink, Jetstar Domestic, Qantas International and Jetstar International)
. . . a later sentence implies that Jetstar Asia’s number are also included

inclusion of Jetstar Asia within the Group
I'm guessing Jetstar Asia's numbers have been bundled in with Jetstar International?

The context of these selected quotes are provided in context below (my bold/italic).

Just a thought?
Month of January 2010

January Group (comprising Qantas Domestic, QantasLink, Jetstar Domestic, Qantas International and Jetstar International) passenger numbers increased by 5.7 percent over the previous year. RPKs decreased by 0.2 percent and ASKs were up 0.6 percent, resulting in a revenue seat factor of 81.2 percent, which was 0.6 percentage points lower than the previous year.

Financial Year to Date January 2010
Group passenger numbers for the financial year to January 2010 were up 6.9 percent from the previous year. RPKs increased by 1.0 percent, while ASKs decreased by 1.8 percent, resulting in a revenue seat factor of 82.2 percent, which was 2.2 percentage points higher than the previous year.

Total Domestic (Qantas, QantasLink and Jetstar Domestic operations) yield excluding foreign exchange for the financial year to January 2010 was 6.1 percent lower when compared to the same period the prior year. Total International (Qantas and Jetstar International operations) yield excluding foreign exchange for the financial year to January 2010 decreased by 20.1 percent when compared to the same period the prior year. Qantas international yields showed continued improvement with monthly yields moving from -10.3 percent versus the previous year in December, to -7.7 percent in January. Total International yield movements were adversely impacted by a change in the mix of flying with Jetstar representing a higher proportion of international ASKs and by the inclusion of Jetstar Asia within the Group.