PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 29th Mar 2010, 23:22
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rai,

An ex poster, Barbiesboyfriend, works for a subsidiary of BA and was on £20K as an FO. There is a lot of fat in all departments.
Hey Litebulbs,

You know what, i totally agree. None of us are immune from the constant pressure of 'reducing costs'. There are many threats in the pilot world just around the corner, from the change to Flight Time Limitations to the increased use of newbie cadets who pratically pay to fly. If you really want to look at the bigger picture, then those of us in the West should all be afraid of the new world order that is about to come from India and China. If India can make a brand new car (Tata Nano) for £1000, what hope do car factories in the West have?

Well the answer is that the West will change and adapt. We may have to give up manufacturing to the East as we can never compete on cost, but we will find other ways to compete and play to our strenghts. But if we do not accept the new world order and adapt, then we're screwed. Its the way it has been and its the way it always will be.

Sorry for the awful thread creep - but the point is that i know that my job in aviation is not going to be worth having by the time im close to retirement. I can cry about it, but that wont change anything - its a fact. So what can i do? Well my union is helping by engaging with my employer to minimise the damage in the short term. That should help the older guys with kids and mortgages who are pretty much stuck in the job. As for younger guys like me? To be totally honest with you, im already thinking about an exit strategy - another degree, MBA, some other personal options i have. And looking even further than that, i'll be telling my kids not to become pilots and to be dentists or opticians instead!

I love the job and its been fun while its lasted but i know the party wont last forever. At least BA gave Unite an option which protected the T & C's of existing crews who may not be able to switch careers or go back to uni. But they threw it away for some reason i dont know and i think thats scandalous. I think Unite have misjudged the fundamental shift in the industry and rather than embracing the new world order and fighting their way to the top of it, they are fighting against the new world order and sinking to the bottom of it.

Thats enough crap from me for one night!