PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 29th Mar 2010, 22:50
OverFlare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you lot had a dispute, many Pilots would have gone on strike - what many of us Cabin Crew simply cannot comprehend is this - what is the difference?
I think this is a very reasonable question. I know there has been at least one answer so far but one other thing I would say is this: if the Open Skies issue were kicking off now, with BA in its current financial state, rather than 2 years ago when we were making record profits, then I don't believe pilots would have voted to strike. Indeed, at least one BALPA rep is on record as saying we wouldn't even have been asked the question.

Many Pilots and Volunteers joined 'Willie's Army' to help 'save the airline from going bust' - everyone can now see that there is no danger of that
It is true that the strike action is having relatively little financial impact on BA. But this is because of the strike breaking cabin crew and all the volunteers who are ensuring that as many flights get away as possible. Had BASSA been successful in grounding the airline we'd all be a lot closer to the dole queue. Equally IMHO if WW backed down and reinstated the original crew numbers I think it would only be a matter of time before BA went bust.

Your argument reminds me of BASSA's complaint that the crew changes could be reversed because BA made a profit last quarter, while forgetting the main reason BA made the profit was because of the reduced crew numbers!