PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all experienced pilots...we need help!!
Old 29th Mar 2010, 21:49
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kash,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Wow, 1,500 CV's - that's A LOT!

While I know a few people, who I have met over the years at various stages of my training and who have secured employment as pilot, I know a whole lot of people who have not. Some of them have actually left the industry and even given up. One pilot I spoke to during my training said, "only those, who give up, will fail." Well said.

As I repeatedly said so before here, dishing out CV's randomly, or doing a SSTR, will most likely get you the job ... not. A very few might get lucky, the huge majority will not. Particularly, if you do not have a lot of experience. Being at the right place at the right time might get you the job. Personally, I think all that's a load of crap. I rather prefer taking the bull by its horns and get myself out there instead of sitting at home all day waiting for a phone call or email. What will get you a job is being pro-active and showing a lot of self-initiative. Be there in person! Aviation is a strange industry. You are being watched veeery closely all the time. And judged. By what you say and what you do. Be an alright fella who people like having around and know your stuff a little. From little what I know I can tell you so much, you will be alright.

I have said it here before and I am saying it again, if you do not know someone in the insight be your own boss and kick off at the bottom of the latter, e.g. join a gliding club, maybe a flying club, hang around airfields, find yourself a nonflying job at the airport. Work in the industry. Stay in the industry. Rampie will do, refueler, you name it. It's common practice in Canada, for example, to start off as a loader before you get a sniff at flying the damn thing you load every day! I would not recommend doing a FI rating these days because you would need a student to pay for your services...

In late summer 2008, I finished my training and have had nine interviews with GA outfits and airlines respectively. I got those interviews either by word to mouth or by constantly checking on respective websites and before sending out my CV by calling their chief pilot and making my name and voice known (verbal communication plays a huge role in determining sympathy or antipathy). Some of my applications went successful, some not. It's a numbers game but do increase your chances to win. Since I came out of flight school I have sent out about 35 CV's. I started off flying a 172 for peanuts. Admittedly, I got lucky as I knew a guy who had flown for the outfit I began flying with back then. But I know some of my friends would not even look at it, as it is not a jet job and therefore, in their eyes, not an opportunity... True. As sad as it is.

I refuse to believe that there's no jobs out there. There is. Just look harder and wiser.

Best of luck!!!