PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Swiss" makes emergency landing in Germany
Old 14th Jul 2002, 16:06
Capt PPRuNe

Chief PPRuNe Pilot

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Whilst I make some allowance for some of the debaters where English is not their first language I would like to point out to those who are not experienced in actual turboprop flying to beware of their comments. We all know how 'knowledgeable' you can become if you read all the books and even if you spend a lifetime in the jump seat. When it comes to the actual operation, people without the necessary experience only serve to antagonise those of us who have done this and still do this every day of our lives when they try to enter the debate with their 'knowledgeable' experience and theories, especially when they are critical of the pilots.

I would like to ask that the 'armchair experts', the ones without actual experience of this type of operation to stop winding the rest of us up with their hindsight and changing this thread into a debate about how good Crossair pilots may or may not be. As has been pointed out, the waether forecasters sometimes get it very wrong. Ask anyone about hurricanes in the south of England a few years ago.

When the a/c has a fuel emergency, for whatever reason, and the weather is much worse than forecast, then you have to get it down as soon as possible and preferably at an airport with a long enough runway. It appears that in this case the pilot was caught unawares as was the controller that this runway had a earth mound across it. At the end of the day no one was hurt and the investigation will no doubt reveal the actual chain of events that led to the accident. As is always the case it will not be one single item but a chain. All I ask is that the 'armchair experts', the ones with no actual experience of airline ops, to pipe down and stop trying to persuade the rest of us that just because you are on an ATPL course and have a few hundred hours in a Piper that you can tell the rest of us how it should have been.