PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2010, 18:00
wiggy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nicholas..

Q1)"Pilots have more stringent flight time limitations than cabin crew, so if some pilots are indeed working in the cabin, does this not disrupt their flying schedules and calculated rest periods etc.?"

Answer: In the main the pilots working in the Cabin are off the fleets BA was planning to stand down on strike days..in the main off the Airbus or 747, therefore they are working in the Cabin instead of on the Flight Deck, so there's no conflict of Duty hours.

Q2) "perhaps a slightly sensitive subject, but having read comments on this website, I think it is fair to say that some pilots believe they are 'above' working as cabin crew, if that is tactful way of putting it. There was a report on the BBC News website of a BA captain serving drinks in the cabin on a trans-atlantic flight. What do others think of this?"

Answer: Not sure why anyone thinks this, I've not met any pilot who believes they are above working in the Cabin, and if anyone did have issues with doing this it's simple - don't volunteer.

Q3) "are pilots trained to carry out the duties of cabin crew? I do not mean serving drinks, I was thinking instead of being qualified to do the safety demonstration; co-ordinate an emergeny evacuation from the cabin rather than FD etc."

Answer: We all undergo routine training in safety procedures every year and the volunteers have had enhanced training for things such as the safety demo. over the last few weeks.

Q4) "what uniform do you wear? Again, I find it hard to believe a BA captain would wear a male flight attendant's uniform. Am I wrong"

Answer: The pilots working in the Cabin are wearing normal uniform minus their rank slides....

Last edited by wiggy; 29th Mar 2010 at 18:43. Reason: punctuation