PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2010, 16:52
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The press have been reporting that BA pilots have been volunteering to work as cabin crew. Can I ask a couple of questions about this?

1) pilots have more stringent flight time limitations than cabin crew, so if some pilots are indeed working in the cabin, does this not disrupt their flying schedules and calculated rest periods etc.?

2) perhaps a slightly sensitive subject, but having read comments on this website, I think it is fair to say that some pilots believe they are 'above' working as cabin crew,
if that is tactful way of putting it. There was a report on the BBC News website of a BA captain serving drinks in the cabin on a trans-atlantic flight. What do others think of this?

3) are pilots trained to carry out the duties of cabin crew? I do not mean serving drinks, I was thinking instead of being qualified to do the safety demonstration; co-ordinate an emergeny evacuation from the cabin rather than FD etc.

4) what uniform do you wear? Again, I find it hard to believe a BA captain would wear a male flight attendant's uniform. Am I wrong?

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Nick