PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored A320 Type Rating & Line Training - J Curd
Old 29th Mar 2010, 05:27
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I work for an Asian company and I can tell you that someone with 400 hours total time and a type rating with 150 hours on type will not get a look in. Total hours in the thousands are a requirement and a type rating is not necessary as all the training is done in house. In fact, the quality of the training is taken into account and although there have been no P2F pilots employed, I would suspect that these training schemes would not be highly regarded. However, my company is not employing ex-pats at the moment. The recruitment is being fulfilled by cadet schemes.

I'm sure other Asian companys are the same. (Top tip, don't refer to then as "Far Eastern" - the term means nothing in Asia). There seems to be a misconception on these forums that the standards may be lower and they are desperate for pilots. There is a requirement for pilots and they are hiring ex-pats. But most of these are contracts through agencies for which the P2F pilots won't have enough experience for. And although some Asian companies employ directly, the ex-pats employees tend to have much higher requirement than local pilots, laregly due to the high hours requirements of their national aviation authorities. For example, 2800 hours total time with relevant experience is required to validate a foreign ICAO ATPL into a Hong Kong ATPL.

And the standards tend to be very high.