PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tough fight for EK in Canada
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2010, 05:22
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Married A Canadian,

I really can't be bothered to do a line-by-line deconstruction of your post as you did mine, quite frankly I think it's a lazy way of debating. But you've made your point, laissez-faire capitalism it is, and the workers be damned. You are correct, not too many people are concerned about where their cheap goods come from, but some do and perhaps more should. Perhaps your perspective would be different if you were one of the workers, that's why I asked. A question which you coyly avoided answering directly.

You defend hypocrisy as status quo, then attack Canada's defence of their domestic industry as the same. I guess only the one that prevents your cheaper, easier access to Dubai is wrong EH?!

As far as a lot of expats wanting to come work in this region...what a red herring. Emirates is having difficulty attracting pilots (relative to the numbers that once gladly came) because the truth is getting out there of what working for EK is like these days. Morale is in the toilet, and that is well documented elsewhere. So in that regard you're just plain wrong. From the more desperate nations, of course there will always be workers wanting to come. (Not to mention to replace the ones who have been made redundant and/or fled.) But you make it sound as if they're coming because it's so great, when the truth is it may be just slightly less horrific then where they came from (and often isn't). Exploitation is not quite a ringing endorsement.

Same with your comparison to low-co's and safety. I don't have a good answer as to why the "Western" authorities allow Emirates to continue with some of their FTL practices. Again, I cannot prove a negative: "Emirates continues to operate so it must be safe/legal". But saying that a British lowcost is just as unsafe as Emirates therefore, no problem, isn't the greatest argument. As others have noted, I guess we'll just have to wait for a smoking hole to prove a point. Seems a bit of a shame though.

Here's my take on the situation. Once upon a time, perhaps before you Married a Canadian, you, like many of your compatriots, were lured to the sunny paradise of Dubai from the rainy hell of England, with it's annoying things like democracy, unions and a legal system. Those slick ads...the sexy buildings...why, they own the Gunners, fer Gawd's sake! Talk about LEGITIMATE! The shiny new B777 whisked you there, in the seat-sale Y class. The service seemed a dream: free booze (oh such respite from those cheap bastards Ryan and Easy) and young, attractive cabin crew (a reprieve from those silly experienced ones they have at BA).

When you landed, you were shuttled on a nice little bus by a little brown man, directly to your package-deal hotel. Already you knew the place was something special. Everywhere you look, other sunburned, middle-aged Brits revelling in their self-importance, with their flash cars, Filipino maids, and don't forget: no income tax! Sunny and warm, on your Big Bus Tour you marvelled at the sights. Malls! A ski hill! A tall building! A....hmm..well that's about it. But STILL! The place was magnificent! (Big Bus doesn't go through the camps in Al Quoz, after all.) Why, whatever are these people ON about! The Middle East is positively PROGRESSIVE!

Back in jolly old England, after a torrid internet dating affair, you met Mrs. Married a Canadian and moved over to Canucksville. With the memories of your dream vacation still fresh, you decided to recreate the vacation with your main squeeze. But one phonecall to a travel agent revealed a shocking truth: you could only fly direct to the UAE six days a week!!

Quelle Horreur! And thus you entered PPRune to complain.

Am I close? Since you didn't really explain to me why you care if Emirates gets more access.

Travel between Point A and Point B is well covered. It may not be as cheap or as convenient as you like it, but too bad. You try and make it sound as if it's impossible to get from Canada to Dubai. Buy your damn ticket to London and go already. (Or Frankfurt. Or Paris. I hear Emirates flies there daily.) Or don't.

The simple fact is, Canada decides who flies to Canada, and the UAE decides who flies to the UAE.